Carol M. McCarthy
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Temple University School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1986)
- New York University (Ph.D., 1978)
- Scholar's Program
- State University of New York at Stonybrook (M.S., 1974)
- Trinity College (B.A., 1962)
Carol M. McCarthy
Carol M. McCarthy is counsel in Ober|Kaler's Health Law Group and brings a unique perspective to her law practice. As former president and CEO of the American Hospital Association, Carol knows the inner workings of the health care system and has hands-on experience with the issues facing health care clients today. As a result, Carol’s clients benefit from legal advice that is as practical as it is sound.
Carol has extensive experience representing physicians as well as hospitals and academic medical centers with business relationships and transactions, as well as managed care contracting, clinical research initiatives and regulatory and professional matters.
From the business perspective, her practice regularly involves assisting clients with Medicare compliance issues; the development and operation of joint ventures; medical practice acquisitions and mergers; physician recruitment and retention; clinical research operation and oversight; the development and operation of IRBs; the development and operation of IPAs, Physician-Hospital Organizations and Management Services Organizations; MA plan and private third-party payor negotiations; and all types of contractual arrangements. She also serves as general counsel to a number of large medical practices. Carol’s representation on professional matters is national in scope and centers on EMTALA defenses, Medicare Conditions of Participation compliance, Joint Commission accreditation issues, OHRP and FDA compliance and physician privileges actions.
Carol serves as a court-appointed mediator for three of Maryland’s circuit courts and is on the American Health Lawyer Association’s list of dispute resolvers. In addition to other professional recognition, she is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law Category, for 2010 through 2012.
- Your Brother’s Keeper
- Board Member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law Category (Woodward/White, Inc.), 2010-2013
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers for Health Care, 2007
- Named one of the ten Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyers in the United States by Nightingale’s Healthcare News, 2004
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Carol is a former president of the American Hospital Association and national spokesperson for the hospital field. Before being selected to run the American Hospital Association, Carol was president and chief executive officer of the Massachusetts Hospital Association and two regional hospital associations, along with related foundations and group purchasing corporations.
- Carol has authored numerous articles on health care policy and is a contributing author to Health Care in the United States, a textbook on the health care delivery system. She speaks frequently on health policy issues related to physician-hospital relationships and managed care contracting.