Diane Festino Schmitt
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1984)
- Order of the Coif
- University of Maryland (B.A., cum laude, 1981)
Diane Festino Schmitt
Diane Festino Schmitt, a principal in Ober|Kaler's Litigation Group and Creditors' Rights Group, focuses on commercial, business and corporate litigation. Diane has over 25 years of experience representing international, national and local commercial credit lenders in federal and state courts.
Diane provides her banking clients a full range of litigation, negotiation and dispute resolution services. She handles commercial collection actions and confessed judgments on defaulted notes, guarantees, loan agreements, leases and contracts. As the head of Ober|Kaler's foreclosure task force, she also conducts foreclosure actions on real estate as varied as apartment complexes to waterfront estates.
Additionally, she defends lender liability counterclaims sounding in tort, contract and statute, including counterclaims consolidated before the judicial panel on multi-district litigation, and those based on inter-creditor agreements. Diane defends lenders in class action claims arising from consumer automobile repossessions, and assists lenders in responding to subpoenas for financial records.
In addition to her extensive creditor's rights work, Diane has an active general commercial litigation practice that includes contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes and tort disputes for a diverse group of clients including health care institutions, telecommunications companies, and other businesses. Diane has also briefed and argued numerous cases before Maryland's Courts of Appeal.
As co-chair of the firm's Mentoring Program since 2004, Diane helps give back to the community by pairing Ober|Kaler attorneys, paralegals and staff with inner city Baltimore high school and elementary school students.
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland
- Law Clerk, Associate Judge Theodore G. Bloom, Court of Special Appeals
- Former Member, Judicial Nominating Committee for the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland
- Lecturer, National Equipment Leasing Association
- Lecturer, Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Author, “Family Leave and Medical Leave Act,” Guide to Equal Employment Practices, Warren, Gorham & Lamont