Donald C. Greenman
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Virginia School of Law (LL.B., 1968)
- Order of the Coif
- United States Coast Guard Academy (B.S., with high honors, 1960)
Donald C. Greenman
Donald C. Greenman is a member of Ober|Kaler’s Admiralty and Maritime Group and the firm’s Litigation Group. Don’s focus is on admiralty matters and general litigation, commercial transactions and international law issues.
Don handles a variety of litigation and commercial planning matters for clients in the maritime transportation arena. His clients include vessel owners, charterers and municipalities. His diverse representations include cases related to the Shipping Act, maritime casualties and accidents, contracts, ship mortgages and registry issues.
He has provided advice to clients regarding the advantages and disadvantages of U.S. flag-registry, including issues related to citizenship, manning, cargo, preference and subsidies. Don also advised the City of Baltimore regarding ownership, documentation, charter agreements, and foreign transfer issues pertaining to the S/V PRIDE OF BALTIMORE.
A former U.S. Coast Guard officer, Don is the author of numerous articles for legal and maritime journals and serves as the editor of American Maritime Cases.
- American Bar Association
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Maritime Administrative Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Board of Directors, 1995-1998
- Committee on Carriage of Goods
- Chair, 2004-2009
- Vice Chair, 2000-2004
- Committee on International Organizations, Conventions, and Standards
- Committee on Limitation of Liability, Chair 1994-1998
- Committee on Recreational Boats, Chair 1998-2000
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Section on International Commercial Law, Chair 1985-1986
- Tolchester Community Association, Inc.
- Board of Directors
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Shipping & Maritime Lawyers, 2009
- Listed since 1989 in The Best Lawyers in America, Admiralty & Maritime Law Category (Woodward/White, Inc.)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Editor, American Maritime Cases, 1993-present
- United States Coast Guard, (Deck and Engineering Officer on Ocean Station Vessel and Merchant Marine Safety Officer in Los Angeles)
- Author, “United States Law in William Tetley,” Marine Cargo Claims, 2008
- Author, “Limitation of Liability Unlimited,” Journal of Maritime Law & Commerce, 2001
- Author, “Brown Water Seamen and Section 905(b) Suits,” The MLA Report, Maritime Law Association, Doc. No. 678 at 9225
- Author, “Limitation of Liability, A Critical Analysis of United States Law in an International Setting,” Tulane Law Review
- Author, “Statistical Analysis of Limitation of Liability Cases, October, 1953-December, 1981,” Maritime Law Association, Doc. No. 640
- Speaker at various programs on admiralty and transportation law