Gary M. Hyman
Gary M. Hyman is a veteran business and tax attorney with over 30 years of experience handling tax, estate, health and business matters. He represents hundreds of entrepreneurial and institutional business organizations and individuals. He provides counsel to clients with regard to all aspects of state and and multistate tax (SALT), and federal tax planning; Internal Revenue Service and state tax controversy and compliance; estates and trusts; and business matters.
Gary’s SALT experience is unique and extensive. He provides both personal and business tax counsel to many entrepreneurs, including those just starting out as well as those with established, successful ventures all over the world. He works closely with clients to ensure they maximize their business and individual tax positions, and advises them with regard to the business structures, available tax credits and related programs, financing opportunities, and the advantages and disadvantages of working in the various states.
As the Article Supervisor for the revision of the Maryland tax general and tax property laws, Gary became intimately familiar with the intricacies and opportunities presented by state and local tax matters on both the legal and legislative fronts. His experience as founder and chair of the Maryland State Bar Association State Tax Study Group, as a member of the Taxation Committee of the Maryland Chamber of Commerce, and as a frequent author, lecturer and consultant to various governmental tax commissions, has enabled him to obtain significant beneficial results for his clients.
- American Bar Association
- Article Supervisor for the Commission to Revise the Annotated Code of Maryland for the Tax-Property, Article (Ch. 8, Acts of 1985) and the Health Occupations, Article (Ch. 8, Acts of 1981)
- Governors Task Force to Study the Maryland Tax Court, 1984
- Maryland Bar Foundation
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Tax Section, State Tax Study Group, Chair, 1987–present
- Past and current author of materials in MICPEL’s Maryland Taxes
- Advanced Tax Institute Committee, Co-chair State and Local Tax Issues Day, 2004-2012
- Maryland Tax Court Rules Committee, 1988-present
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce, Taxation Committee, 1997-present
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell