Geoffrey S. Tobias
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1974)
- United States Merchant Marine Academy (B.S., 1969)
Geoffrey S. Tobias
Geoffrey S. Tobias is a principal and chairs Ober|Kaler’s Admiralty and Maritime Group. Geoff focuses his legal practice in the areas of general admiralty and maritime law, immigration and nationality law, and products liability. Over the course of his 30-year legal career, he has participated in litigation in virtually every state, handling products liability matters and representing a wide range of individual and commercial clients in cases involving maritime, trucking and immigration issues.
Geoff, who served on the Governor’s Advisory Committee for the Port of Baltimore, has represented virtually every shipowner whose vessels call at the Port, as well as utilities, marine suppliers, and domestic towing and dredging companies. His representations include matters related to collision, personal injury, charter party disputes, pollution claims, cargo damage, dock damage, immigration, legislation and waterfront development. In addition, he has represented products manufacturers in bodily injury, property damage and class action matters.
His immigration practice includes the representation of United States employers of foreign workers; professionals and foreign investors in the United States; and individuals seeking permanent residence and American citizenship. He is experienced in representing clients in all of the CIS (INS) regions, as well as before the Administrative Appeals Unit and Board of Immigration Appeals in Washington.
Geoff is one of the nation’s most prominent admiralty lawyers. He has been listed since 2005 in The Best Lawyers in America and is among those listed in the 2009 edition of The International Who’s Who of Shipping and Maritime Lawyers.
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Baltimore Port Alliance
- Maritime Law Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Section of International Commercial Law, Chair, 1988-1990
- Georgetown University Alumni Interviewer
- Governor’s Advisory Committee for the Port of Baltimore
- Governor’s Task Force to Study Driver Licensing Documentation, Chair
- Sail Baltimore
- Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- Tupenny Club of Baltimore
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Transportation/Maritime, 2008-2013
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Shipping and Maritime Lawyers, 2009
- Listed since 2005 in The Best Lawyers in America, Admiralty & Maritime and Immigration Law Categories; named Best Lawyers' Baltimore Admiralty & Maritime Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2014 (Woodward/White, Inc.)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Leader of National Counsel Team in major products liability action
- Licensed by United States Coast Guard as Second Mate and Third Engineer
- Adjunct Professor, Admiralty Law, University of Virginia and University of Maryland Schools of Law
- Geoff is a lecturer on immigration law and international trade and author of the chapter “Immigration Law” published in Ober|Kaler's The Nonprofit Legal Landscape by BoardSource, 2004.