Ian I. Friedman
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Journal of Business & Technology Law
- James Madison University (B.B.A., 2000)
- Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Honor Society
Ian I. Friedman
Ian Friedman is an associate in Ober|Kaler’s Litigation and Construction Groups. Ian handles complex civil litigation matters with concentrations in construction, business and finance, and health care licensing. He was named a Rising Star by Maryland Super Lawyers for 2013.
In his practice, Ian has represented clients in state trial and appellate courts, federal courts, the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings, the Maryland Board of Contract Appeals, arbitrations, and mediations. In the construction law arena, Ian represents owners, general contractors, and subcontractors in contract disputes, construction defect cases, and government contracting matters. In the health care arena, Ian represents health professionals in licensing disputes, helping them to either negotiate a resolution with their licensing Board or, if necessary, defending them in administrative hearings.
Recent experiences include:
- In the last two years, Ian has been on the winning side of all four of the cases that he was involved in at the Maryland Court of Special Appeals including, Greenstein v. Council of Unit Owners of Avalon Court Six Condo., Inc., 201 Md. App. 186 (2011), which established, for the first time in Maryland, that condominium unit owners have the right to sue their council for negligence for failing to timely pursue a lawsuit against the condominium’s developer
- Winning a motion for summary judgment in a $500,000 breach of contract case
- Representing a health professional in a six day trial at the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings
Prior to becoming an attorney and joining Ober|Kaler, Ian was a Certified Public Accountant who worked in the tax groups of PricewaterhouseCoopers and Constellation Energy.
When not working, Ian enjoys spending time with his wife and young daughter. Ian is also active in the community, serving as a Board Member for Advocates for Children and Youth, a non-profit organization which advocates for Maryland’s children in the community, media, and the public policy arena.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
Listed as a Maryland Rising Star in Maryland Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense, 2013
- Certified Public Accountant (no longer active)
- Summer Associate, Ober Kaler Grimes & Shriver
- Tax Analyst, Constellation Energy Group, Inc.
- Associate, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
- Tax Intern, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP