Jackson B. Boyd
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Maryland Law Review
- Washington & Lee University (B.A., 1998)
Jackson B. Boyd
Jackson B. Boyd is an associate with Ober|Kaler’s Litigation Group. Jack handles complex civil litigation with a concentration in construction, business and financial matters. In the construction law arena, Jack represents owners, general contractors and subcontractors in contract formation and construction disputes on a variety of private and public projects. He was named a “Rising Star” in Construction Litigation by Maryland Super Lawyers for 2013.
As part of his litigation practice, Jack has represented clients in state and federal courts, administrative law hearings, arbitration hearings and mediation conferences. Jack was recently an integral member of a litigation team that presented a plaintiff's case at a week-long arbitration relating to a condominium board's failure to maintain and repair the common elements of a high-rise building in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. The arbitration panel consisted of three retired Maryland judges. The litigation team represented a unit owner that suffered significant damages stemming from water infiltration into a penthouse condominium unit and was able to obtain both a monetary damages award and an order of specific performance for repairs to the building’s roof system and exterior facade. The award is believed to be Maryland's largest judgment against a condominium board for failure to maintain and repair common elements resulting in damages to a single unit owner.
Other examples of Jack’s recent successes include:
- Obtaining a $429,915 judgment at trial for a financial services client, which was affirmed by the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland;
- Defending a conversion claim at trial against a national retail client; and
- Winning a Baltimore City bid protest that enabled a professional health services client to be awarded a $1,000,000 annual services contract with the City after it had initially been disqualified.
Jack is also active in the community, serving on the Advisory Committee for the Business Volunteers Unlimited Maryland GIVE Program and on the Ober|Kaler Community Grants Program Committee.
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division
- Construction Law Committee
- Business Volunteers Unlimited Maryland GIVE Program
- Advisory Committee
- Ober|Kaler Community Grants Program Committee
- Listed as a Maryland Rising Star in Maryland Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2013
- Triangle Business Journal, 40 Under 40 Leadership Award
- Summer Associate and Law Clerk, Ober, Kaler, Grimes & Shriver
- Intern for U.S. Magistrate Judge Susan K. Gauvey, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Director of Economic Development and Government Affairs, Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce
- Vice President of Small Business & Community Affairs, Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce
- Staff Assistant, Congressman Thomas J. Bliley, Jr.
- Author, "2012 Maryland General Assembly Legislative Update," Construction OberView, Ober|Kaler, 2012
- Co-author, “An Inconvenient Truth About Termination for Convenience Clauses in Private Construction Contracts,” Building Baltimore, Associated Builders and Contractors, Baltimore Chapter, 2012
- Author, "Court of Special Appeals Strikes Down Maryland Regulation Prohibiting Bidders From Challenging Whether an Entity is a Certified MBE," Construction OberView, Ober|Kaler, 2011
- Author, "Bidding On Baltimore City Contracts – Pay Attention to MBE/WBE Details," Construction OberView, Ober|Kaler, 2010
- Author, "One Reason to Enforce Payment Bond and Mechanic's Lien Rights Promptly," Construction OberView, Ober|Kaler, 2010