James E. Edwards, Jr.
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honor, 1982)
- Maryland Law Review, 1980-1982
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (B.A., 1978)
James E. Edwards, Jr.
James E. Edwards, Jr. is a co-chair of Ober|Kaler’s Litigation Group, a member of the firm’s Board of Directors, and a member of the firm’s Construction Group. Jim focuses his practice in the areas of construction law and civil litigation. In the construction setting, Jim represents contractors, subcontractors, owners, developers, and condominium and homeowner associations. He has significant experience in design and construction contract preparation and claim resolution in litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. In addition, Jim handles procurement matters before various governmental agencies and boards of contract appeals.
An experienced trial lawyer, Jim represents both individual and corporate fiduciaries in estate and trust-related disputes as well as businesses in corporate and personal litigation in federal and state courts in Maryland and in the mid Atlantic region. His practice also encompasses general commercial litigation, enforcement of restrictive covenants in employment agreements, and insurance coverage disputes.
Jim also serves as a neutral in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Jim is active in many professional organizations and takes a lead role in a number of community activities. He chaired the building committee for the construction of a $1.6 million Worship Center for St. Francis de Sales Church in Abingdon, Md., served on the State of Maryland Task Force on Common Ownership Communities, and is a graduate of the Harford Leadership Academy sponsored by the Harford County Chamber of Commerce.
- American Bar Association
- Section on Litigation
- Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- Section on Labor and Employment Law
- Section on Public Contract Law
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Harford County Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Litigation Group
- Marketing Principal
- Community Associations Institute, Professional Member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, International, Commercial and Government Arbitration Category, (Woodward/White, Inc.), 2011
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2007-2013
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Speaker, various seminars related to electronic discovery
- Presenter, "Data Management for Health Care Organizations," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2012
- Speaker, Fiduciary Litigation: Aging Boomers and Their Parents Drive an Upswing in Disputes, Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Speaker and co-author, Residential Construction Disputes, MICPEL
- Speaker and author, Rights and Remedies Against State Insurance Guaranty Funds, Lorman Business Center, Inc.
- Author, The Practical Applications of Maryland Discovery Rules, Civil Discovery Practice in Maryland
- Speaker, Appropriate Dispute Resolution: Effective Business Conflict Management, co-sponsored by Ober|Kaler and the American Arbitration Association
- Speaker and author, Mechanic’s Lien Law in Maryland, Lorman Business Center, Inc.
- Instructor, Nine-Day Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Author, ADR Options, Employment Discrimination Litigation: Developments and Strategies, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Section