John F. Morkan, III
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1983)
- Maryland Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- Order of the Coif
- Georgetown University (B.A., 1977)
John F. Morkan, III
John F. "Jack" Morkan III is co-chair of Ober|Kaler's Construction Group and a member of the firm’s Litigation Group. Jack’s practice focuses on construction contract disputes and alternative disputes resolution (ADR) proceedings. He has litigated matters in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has participated in arbitration proceedings involving application of U.S., international and foreign law in the United States, France, Switzerland, Egypt and Ireland.
Jack represents owners, engineers, contractors and OEMs in litigation, International Chamber of Commerce and American Arbitration Association proceedings, and ADR tribunals involving claims of delay, abandonment, wrongful termination, substandard workmanship, defective design and related matters.
As a general civil litigator, Jack also represents health care providers, telecommunications companies, banks, leasing companies, manufacturers, insurers and other businesses and individuals. In commercial contract disputes, he handles matters involving claims against trustees, recovery on secured transactions, claims against insurers for wrongful failure to pay and coverage disputes. He has also litigated complex disputes concerning rights arising from complex wills and trust.
Active in the community, Jack is an active supporter of the Chesapeake Bay and the sailing community. He serves on the board of the Box of Rain Foundation, an organization dedicated to educational, mentoring and self-realization programs grounded in the diversity of maritime culture, and on the board and as treasurer of the Annapolis Musicians Fund for Musicians, a non-profit organization created to provide financial assistance to musicians who are unable to work due to sickness, injury or other circumstances or who have suffered a catastrophic loss.
- American Bar Association
- Forum Committee on Construction Industry
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Judicial Administration Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Annapolis Musicians Fund for Musicians
- Director and Treasurer, 2010-present
- Box of Rain Foundation
- Director, 2005-present
- Eastport Yacht Club, Ltd.
- Commodore, 2004-2005
- Maryland Public Justice Center
- Director, 1989-1991
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, International Arbitration - Commercial and International Arbitration-Governmental Categories, (Woodward/White, Inc.), 2011-2013
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2007-2013
- Staff Attorney, United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- Author, “Infrastructure Contracting in the Middle East,” Construction Business Review
- Author, “Impeaching One’s Own Witnesses,” Maryland Law Review