Kelly M. Preteroti
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2006)
- Florida State University (B.A., 2002)
Kelly M. Preteroti
Kelly M. Preteroti is an associate in the Litigation and Employment Groups at Ober|Kaler. She spends a considerable amount of time in the courtroom, making her a highly competent and efficient litigator. Kelly takes an aggressive and detail-oriented approach to each case, providing her clients with a tenacious, yet personal representation.
A large part of Kelly’s growing practice focuses on fiduciary litigation. Fiduciary disputes arise between owners and shareholders of companies, as well as between individuals and/or financial institutions in trust and estate matters. Kelly understands the nuances of litigating these matters in all venues, from federal court or state court to the Orphans’ Court, where estates are administered.
Kelly also handles employment disputes, commercial disputes, construction-related disputes and admiralty matters.
Some examples of Kelly’s recent successes include:
- Representing a personal representative in recovering estate property from a beneficiary
- Obtaining a substantial fee award in her representation of a personal representative in a removal action
- Receiving a jury verdict of over $400,000 in a construction defect case
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to enjoin an employee from violating his non-competition agreement
Kelly is a strong advocate of mediation and alternative dispute resolution, and handles many mediations and arbitration proceedings. Prior to joining the firm, Kelly worked for the Honorable Lynne A. Battaglia on the Commission on Professionalism, which was established to explore and monitor the implementation of the professionalism policies adopted by the Court of Appeals; examine ways to promote professionalism among Maryland judges and lawyers; and ensure that the practice of law remains a high calling, focused on serving clients and promoting the administration of justice, as well as the public good.
From 2007-2011 Kelly acted as General Counsel for the Baltimore Junior Association of Commerce. In her time out of the office, she is an avid runner and promoter of health and fitness, and enjoys spending time with her husband and young sons.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Maryland State Bar Association
- BMore Fit
- Board of Directors
- Listed as a Maryland Rising Star in Maryland Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2012, 2013
- Recipient, Ober|Kaler Pro Bono Distinguished Service Award for 2008
- Summer Associate, Ober, Kaler, Grimes & Shriver
- Summer Associate, Brodsky, Greenblatt & Renehan, Chartered
- Intern, The Honorable Lynne A. Battaglia, Court of Appeals, Annapolis
- Intern, Ugaretti & Harris
- Presenter, “Mediation – When to Use and How to Make it Effective," Webinar, Young Lawyers Division, American Bar Association, 2012
- Co-author with Marc K. Cohen, “Maryland Board of Chiropractic Examiners Now Approves Dry-Needling as Being Within the Scope of Practice for Chiropractors But...” Maryland Chiropractic Association, 2007
- Co-author with John Anthony Wolf, “Written Statements — A Practical Bridge of the Cultural Divide,” Dispute Resolution Journal, 2007