Marc K. Cohen
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- University of Baltimore (J.D., 1974)
- University of Paris, Certificate Course of Study, Sorbonne
- University of Maryland (B.A., 1970)
Marc K. Cohen
Marc Cohen is a principal in Ober|Kaler's Health Law Group. He handles litigation and regulatory matters related to licensed health care professionals, nursing homes and hospitals in federal and state courts and before federal and state regulatory agencies. Clients successfully represented include physicians, dentists, psychologists, chiropractors and allied health care professionals. Marc also represents many of Maryland's community hospitals and its most historic and prestigious health care facilities.
Marc's representation includes the defense of alleged violations of professional standard of care and licensing laws and guidance with regulatory requirements for professional practices and health care facilities, including self-referral and kickback prohibitions. He also regularly provides counsel on employment agreements and non-competition issues, billing and reimbursement disputes, and insurance panel credentialing and hospital privileging cases.
Marc's significant work in public health regulatory matters and professional services contracting allows him to provide knowledgeable assistance with practice formation, sales and acquisitions. He also has demonstrated expertise in facility licensing and environmental compliance and mediation, and the establishment of specialty health care facilities.
He has demonstrated litigation accomplishments in professional discipline cases, scope of practice issues and delegation of professional services matters. Marc is also a frequent lecturer and publisher on health care compliance in the areas of privacy, HIPAA, billing and kickback, fraud and professional discipline defense. His HIPAA Compliance and Privacy Manual was selected by the state's medical society and other professional associations for its members.
Marc's depth of understanding and advocacy for physicians and other health care professionals led to his appointment to the Maryland Governor's Task Force on Health Care Discipline. He testifies frequently before legislative committees on professional discipline and is a leading witness on the Professional Discipline Reform legislation which was enacted 2010. He has published several recent articles on professional discipline and the Board of Physicians Reauthorization Act and authored a number of related statuatory provisions.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Committee on Administrative Law
- Section Council on Health Law
- Section Council Committee on Environmental Law
- Maryland Task Force On Health Care Professionals & Improved Patient Care
- Maryland-National Capital Building Industry Association
- Southern Maryland Committee
- Principal, Ober|Kaler
- Assistant Attorney General Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, State of Maryland, Chief Legislative Officer
- State Water Management Administration, Department of the Environment, Assistant Attorney General and Counsel
- Author, "Progress in Reforming the Health Care Professionals' Disciplinary Process," Maryland Bar Journal, Maryland State Bar Association, 2013
- Presenter, "Developments in Informed Consent," Health Care Section of the Maryland State Bar Association, 2011
- Author, "Calls for Reform in the Discipline of Health Care Professionals," Maryland Bar Journal, Maryland State Bar Association, 2009