Raymond Daniel Burke, one of the region's top construction and real estate development lawyers, is a principal in Ober|Kaler's Construction, Real Estate and Litigation Groups. Over the course of his 30-year career in the law, Raymond has built a substantial trial and appellate practice, and is noted for numerous cases relating to condominium and other multi-use development.
Raymond brings a client-oriented perspective to his practice. He shares his insight on topical real estate and development issues facing condominium and homeowners associations and their members through his popular blog, www.marylandcondolaw.com.
Raymond frequently represents condominium and homeowner associations and property managers in connection with building-related issues, particularly involving code compliance, deviations from industry standards, structural integrity, and water intrusion. He works with skilled engineering and architectural consultants in the identification of building defects, the specification of proper repairs, the pursuit and resolution of claims relating to improper construction, the implementation of repairs, and the remediation of mold and environmental contamination. He also represents developers, architects, builders, contractors, manufacturers, and insurers in resolving construction related claims, and developing solutions to building issues.
Most recently, Raymond secured judicial confirmation from the Circuit Court for Baltimore City of a significant arbitration award on behalf of a condo unit owner. The unit owner had suffered substantial damages stemming from water infiltration into a penthouse condominium unit and was able to obtain both a monetary damages award and an order of specific performance for repairs to the building’s roof system and exterior facade. The award is believed to be Maryland’s largest judgment against a condo board for failure to maintain, repair and replace the common elements of a condominium building.
Raymond works with clients to handle disputes through alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedures, and has served as an arbitrator and mediator. In addition, he represents clients in all facets of real estate development and operation, including land acquisition, planning and zoning, creation of condominium regimes and homeowner associations, development of contact documents, design and construction, sales, leasing, maintenance, and repairs. He also negotiates and prepares agreements relating to real estate transactions, corporate activities and employment matters.
Active in professional, community and civic affairs, Raymond has taken a leading role in several prominent organizations dedicated to the Baltimore area’s economic growth. In addition to writing an opinion/commentary column for The Baltimore Sun, he is also a frequent lecturer on real estate and construction issues and civil practice and procedure.
- American Bar Association
- Section on Litigation
- Section on Business Law
- Baltimore Metropolitan Leadership Conference
- Chair, 1988-1990
- Leadership Baltimore County
- Alumni Member, 1985-present
- Participant, 1984-1985
- Member, 1984-present
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Section on Litigation
- Section on Business Law
- Community Associations Institute
- Member, Chesapeake Chapter
- Towson Development Corp.
- Executive Board, 1986-present
- President, 1989-1993
- Vice President, 1988-1989
- Board of Directors, 1987-1996
- Legislative Committee, 1980-1989
- Committee Chair, 1986-1989
- Member, 1980-present
- The Baltimore Sun
- Opinion/Commentary Columnist, 2000-present
- Community Assistance Network
- Planning Committee, 1991-1996
- President, 1989-1991
- Board of Directors, 1986-1991
- Treasurer & Finance Committee Chairman, 1986-1989
- Consumer Council of Maryland, Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, Consultant, 1996-1997
- Easter Seal Society
- Lawyers Fundraising Committee, 1989-1991
- Committee Chair, 1992
- Hereford High School PTSA
- Special Education Liaison 2007-2009
- Sparks and Fifth District Recreation Councils, Baltimore County
- Coach, 1997-2000
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation, 2007-2013, 2015-2016; Construction and Real Estate, 2014
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Partner and Trial Attorney, Freishtat, Burke, Mullen & Dubnow, LLC
- Consulting Attorney, Baltimore County Office of Planning and Zoning
- Corporate Counsel, McCormick & Company, Inc.
- Assistant County Attorney, Baltimore County Attorney's Office
- Raymond is a frequent speaker at programs hosted by Lorman Education Services and the National Business Institute.
- Raymond’s opinion commentary on a variety of topics has appeared frequently in The Baltimore Sun since 1999.
- Author,"Condominium and New Home Warranties and Rights of Action," Maryland Construction Law Deskbook, Construction Law Section of the Maryland Bar Association, 2012
- Author, “Living in a Condo Doesn’t Free Owner of Building Maintenance Issues,” Baltimore Business Journal, 2007
- Author, “Condominium Purchasers Need to Be Mindful of Common Element Warranty Requirements,” Baltimore Business Journal, 2007