Robert D. Clark
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- Georgetown University (LL.M. in Taxation, 1990)
- Howard University (J.D., magna cum laude, 1981)
- University of Maryland (B.A., 1976)
Robert D. Clark
Robert D. Clark, a principal in the Ober|Kaler Health Law Group, is among the country’s leading health care business and transactional attorneys. Bob brings to the table decades of experience with regulatory, operational, business and transactional issues pertaining to health care providers and payors, and well understands the client’s perspective as a result of his years of valuable experience as in-house legal counsel for some of the nation’s leading health care organizations.
Bob has specialized expertise in business, corporate, and transactional matters, and arrangements involving for profit and non-profit hospices, home health agencies, long-term care facilities, pharmacies, hospitals, group purchasing organizations, pharmaceutical manufacturers, patient assistance organizations, durable medical equipment suppliers, managed care entities and other health care providers and vendors. His experience includes counseling and representation with respect to stock and asset acquisitions and sales, mergers and corporate reorganizations, business entity formation and operation, provider networks and affiliations, joint ventures and partnerships, consulting and management arrangements, debt and equity financing, employment and independent contractor relationships, and numerous other business and commercial transactions. During his nearly three decades of work in the health care industry, Bob has been on the leading edge of industry developments and has been involved in several of the nation’s most significant health care mergers and acquisitions.
Bob’s regulatory experience includes counseling and representation with regard to state and federal laws governing fraud and abuse, self-referral prohibitions, facility and provider licensure and certification, provider surveys, provider and vendor contracting, managed care operations and contracting, Medicare and Medicaid conditions of participation, medical staff matters, compliance programs, right-to-die issues, and patient care matters.
During his years of industry experience, Bob has served as vice president and general counsel of the nation’s largest provider of hospice care, as well as in-house counsel to both a publicly-traded national operator of long-term care facilities and a behavioral health managed care organization. Bob has also served at the managing partner of the health law practice of a national law firm. Bob’s clients very much appreciate his experience as in-house legal counsel because of the keen insight it gives him with respect to client expectations and perspectives.
Bob regularly speaks and writes on topics of interest in the health care industry, with particular emphasis on issues relative to hospice, home health and long-term care.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- National Association for Hospice and Palliative Care
- National Association of Home Care and Hospice
- National Association for the Support of Long Term Care
- Vice President and General Counsel, Vitas Healthcare Corporation
- Assistant General Counsel, Manor Care, Inc.
- General Counsel, Group Practice Affiliates, Inc.
- Assistant General Counsel, Greenspring Health Services, Inc.
- Managing Member, Health Law Practice, Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Co-Speaker, "Health Care is Going Home: The Future is Now," American Academy of Home Care Physicians, American Academy of Home Care Physicians, 2011
- Bob has authored numerous articles on health law topics, and has also made many presentations at national, regional and local conferences and seminars.