Sharon A. Snyder
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., with honor, 1987)
- Loyola College of Maryland (B.A., 1980)
Sharon A. Snyder
Sharon A. Snyder is a principal in Ober|Kaler’s Employment and Litigation Groups. An experienced trial attorney in jury and non-jury cases, she also represents clients in administrative proceedings and ADR procedures, with extensive experience arbitrating commercial disputes under the complex and commercial case rules of the American Arbitration Association. She also has had significant success over the years in state and federal court, obtaining and defending against motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, which frequently require accelerated discovery, emergency evidentiary hearings and an expedited motions practice.
Sharon's practice spans a wide range of civil litigation matters for not-for-profit and for-profit organizations. Representative clients include health care institutions and medical groups; high-tech companies; advertising, publishing and public relations companies; private educational institutions; franchise owners; web-based businesses; and small to medium-sized business owners. Combining excellent courtroom skills, a deep knowledge of the law and sensitivity to each client’s particular goals and objectives, Sharon’s clients rely heavily on her judgment and expertise to protect their interests.
Sharon also regularly counsels employers on employment issues, providing advice that helps her clients avoid litigation. Her work regularly includes advice on enforcement of covenants not to compete; executive and professional employment contracts; negotiation of separation packages; decisions with regard to hiring, firing and promotion; outsourcing and independent contractor issues; wage and hour issues; implementation of reduction in force plans; drug testing and other privacy issues; affirmative action obligations of federal contractors; and compliance with Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, Equal Pay Act, WARN Act and other federal and state laws. She also performs external investigations for clients in sensitive crisis management situations.
Active in the legal community, Sharon served as President of the Maryland Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and she is a volunteer mediator with the Circuit Court for Baltimore City’s Civil Court Mediation Program. She also teaches negotiation and counseling at the university level, to graduates and undergraduate students, as well as to industry and trade groups. Her studies on that topic have given her a particular insight on the challenges and opportunities facing female negotiators, information which she has shared with numerous women’s groups. Sharon has presented on a wide range of other topics as well, including a speech for the EEOC Training Institute regarding best practices for internal investigations of EEO complaints.
As a resident of Baltimore City for more than 30 years, Sharon is dedicated to serving the disadvantaged members of her community. That work included service as president of the board of directors of The Village Learning Place from 2006 through 2010. An avid reader, Sharon also has participated for several years in the St. John’s College Executive Seminar Program.
- Federal Bar Association, Maryland Chapter
- President, 2011-2012
- Chair, Board of Governors
- Circuit Court for Baltimore City’s Civil Court Mediation Program
- Volunteer Mediator
- Loyola College Alumni Association
- President, 2004-2005
- The Village Learning Place
- President, Board of Directors, 2006-2010
- Loyola University in Maryland
- Adjunct Professor
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2010-2013
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul E. Alpert, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland
- Author, “Unpaid Workers - Interns Under the Fair Labor Standards Act,” Section of Labor & Employment Law Newsletter, Maryland State Bar Association, 2013
- Presenter, "Best Practices for Effective Negotiations," Baltimore Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, 2010
- Editor, Maryland Employment Law Forms and Practice: The Ober|Kaler Manual, Data Trace Publications, 2006