Steven R. Smith
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
Steven R. Smith
Steven R. Smith heads up the Washington, D.C., office of Ober|Kaler and practices exclusively with the firm’s Health Group. He is also co-founder of the Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute. Steve provides counsel on regulatory, operational and transactional aspects of health care law for hospitals and other clients in the health care industry.
With Steve’s counsel, clients are able to prepare for and comply with the latest laws and regulations governing their specific operations. Steve has a deep understanding of the myriad legal guidelines that apply to hospitals, rehabilitation centers, long-term care nursing facilities and outpatient clients. With his representation, clients’ transactions are structured to meet all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Steve’s experience encompasses the Stark and antikickback laws; patient safety and quality assurance issues as they relate to both reimbursement and improvement of patient care; medical staff issues including disciplinary and peer review-related matters; corporate governance best practices; and risk and claims management, insurance coverage and fiduciary responsibilities.
Prior to joining Ober|Kaler, Steve spent ten years as senior vice president and general counsel for a large health care system in Maryland where he had both operational and legal responsibilities. Active in national professional organizations and health-related nonprofits, he serves on the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America’s board of directors. Steve is a sought-after speaker and is the author of several articles published in health and medical journals.
- Dimensions Health Corporation, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
- Meyers, Billingsley, Shipley, Rodbell & Rosenbaum, Principal
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter,“Good Governance for General Counsel: What Your Board Needs to Know Now,” Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2013
- Moderator,“Showcase your Expertise: How to Tell Stories to Build Key Relationships for Influence, Leadership and Career Advancement,” Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2013
- Presenter, "Data Management for Health Care Organizations," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2012
- Moderator, “Avoiding Antitrust Pitfalls in Hospital Acquisitions of Physician Practices,” Webinar, Ober|Kaler, 2012
- Co-presenter, "Telemedicine: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2012
- Co-presenter, "Disruptive Physicians: A Roadmap to Avoid Dangerous Behavior," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2012
- Co-presenter, "Physician Contracting and Compliance: To Disclose or Not to Disclose," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2011
- Presenter, "Courting Physicians: Pros and Cons of the Six Integration Models," Webinar, Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, 2011
- Author, “Hospitals Need More Government Funding to Aid Disaster Planning,” Baltimore Business Journal, 2007
- Author, "Understanding the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005: Key Issues," American Health Lawyers Association, 2006
- Chapter author, “Directors and Officers: On Behalf of the Board,” published in Ober|Kaler’s The Nonprofit Legal Landscape by Board Source, 2004
- Author, “Prior Authorization Requirements and the EMTALA Final Rule: Progress?” Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., 2004
- Co-author with Sanford V. Teplitzky, “The Evolution of Risk Management to Corporate Compliance and Beyond,” CCH Healthcare Compliance Letter, 2004
- Co-author with Sanford V. Teplitzky, “Hospital ‘Credentialing’ of Non-Physician Employees,” CCH Healthcare Compliance Letter, 2004
- Co-author with Sanford V. Teplitzky, “EMTALA Compliance: Practical Considerations,” CCH Healthcare Compliance Letter, 2004
- Presentation to the Quality Colloquium on the Campus of Harvard University on “Improving Patient Safety and Protecting the Process,” 2004
- Speaker, “Safeguarding Peer Review Immunity and Document Confidentiality” telephone conference sponsored by Stafford Publications