Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute
The Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute is pleased to introduce its Foundations series, a collection of programs designed to equip in-house counsel with a solid foundation in the cornerstones of health law. The series is for in-house counsel who are:
- beginning their careers
- experienced counsel working outside of health law
- experienced in health law and want to get up to speed in areas outside of their niches
- experienced health law counsel who would like refreshers on current law and developing trends
We kicked off the series with Foundations in Fraud and Abuse (July 23, 2013).
Download materials from our other webinars:
- Good Governance for General Counsel: What Your Board Needs to Know Now (May 15, 2013)
- Showcase Your Expertise: How to Tell Stories to Build Key Relationships for Influence, Leadership and Career Advancement (January 23, 2013)
- Data Management for Health Care Organizations (December 5, 2012)
- Networking for In-house Counsel: Building Key Relationships for Influence, Leadership and Career Advancement (July 18, 2012)
- Survival Tactics for General Counsel: Best Practices When the Government is Investigating Your Organization (May 16, 2012)
- Telemedicine: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (March 21, 2012)
- Disruptive Physicians: A Roadmap to Avoid Dangerous Behavior (January 18, 2012)
- Physician Contracting and Compliance: To Disclose or Not to Disclose (December 7, 2011)
- Courting Physicians: Pros and Cons of Six Integration Models (October 20, 2011)
The Institute strives to provide general counsel level support and advice to health care legal departments and organizations, as well as the opportunity for in house attorneys to share with each other their best practices. Our talented attorneys allow us to develop creative and innovative legal solutions that reflect our “real world” knowledge of the industry. Additionally, we understand that the role of the health care general counsel expands beyond traditional health care legal issues. We are experienced managing and triaging these issues with the support of other practice groups such as construction, employment, tax and real estate.
What We Offer
Information. We know how difficult it is to stay abreast of current health law and business issues while balancing a heavy workload. Our goal is to keep you informed of the legal topics you need to know to do your job. The Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute offers a wide variety of communications and publications, all geared toward helping in house counsel in health care organizations stay in touch with complex legal and regulatory issues. These include:
• Alerts and bulletins
• On-site workshops and in person events
• The “GC Corner” in our Health Law Alert newsletters
Answers. General counsels manage unpredictable and diverse legal issues and demanding meeting schedules. Sometimes in house counsel are pulled in so many directions, it is hard finding the time to know which fire to put out first. No issue is too big or too small for us. We are here for a quick call to talk through a problem or to help you through a complex legal investigation or joint venture that is eating up your time. We know you are expected to provide quick answers and want to be the one you turn to for a quick response. We have at our finger tips are over 40 health attorneys in the Ober|Kaler Health Law Group with wide-range of knowledge to help us answer your questions.
Support. The Institute will facilitate discussions among in house attorneys so we can all share our experiences and learn from each other. We will assist you with cost effective ideas to get those contracts and policies off your desk. We will help you develop proactive legal department management and organizational education, which are often placed on the back burner while you work through the issues land on your desk each day. We will support you through those time consuming and challenging compliance, governance, HIPAA, EMTALA, fraud and abuse, IRB, risk management, accreditation and medical staff issues. In times of staffing shortages in the legal department, such as medical leaves or recruitment of new attorneys, you can lean on us.
Our priority is to make the Institute relevant to you. To help achieve that objective, in June 2011 we distributed a survey containing seven questions to determine the legal and management issues that are most critical to your day-to-day success. The results of this survey can be accessed here [PDF].
The cofounders of Ober|Kaler’s Health Care General Counsel Institute, Steve R. Smith and Sarah E. Swank, have over 20 years of in house experience between them. Steve is the former Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Dimensions Health System, the largest health care provider in Prince George's County, MD serving about 180,000 patients annually. Sarah is the former Associate General Counsel for Trinity Health, the fifth largest Catholic health care system in the US, assigned to Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, Maryland, where she directed legal affairs, legal staff and budget for the 450-bed hospital. They started the Institute because they understand the pressures that health care general counsels and executives are under and wanted to share their experience and knowledge to make their jobs a little easier.
To receive updates from the Ober|Kaler Health Care General Counsel Institute, send an email to email@example.com.