Sanford V. "Sandy" Teplitzky is a principal in Ober|Kaler’s nationally recognized Health Law Group. His clients, typically large health care companies and delivery networks, rely on his experience and deep knowledge of the health care industry to identify and resolve fraud and abuse issues, and to represent them in federal and state investigations. Sandy also advises medical professional and trade associations, negotiates with state and federal authorities, and provides counsel with respect to a broad range of regulatory and legislative issues facing health care clients.
Sandy’s practice primarily focuses on fraud and abuse issues. He has extensive experience in the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs; internal reviews and investigations; due diligence reviews for acquiring and acquired entities; voluntary disclosures; and federal and state governmental investigations arising from False Claims Act whistleblower actions. He is recognized as one of the country’s top attorneys on issues related to the Federal Anti-kickback Statute and the Stark Self-referral law.
His clients include hospitals (including for-profit, not-for-profit, chains and independent hospitals, as well as major academic medical centers), nursing homes, home health agencies, institutional and retail pharmacies, medical device manufacturers, and individual and large physician practices.
One of the most prominent health law lawyers in the U.S., Sandy is a pioneer in a field that has experienced phenomenal growth over the course of the last three decades. He is a former president of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) and was selected as a founding Fellow of the organization in 2005. In 2008, Sandy was awarded the AHLA’s prestigious David J. Greenburg Award.
Noted by both clients and colleagues for his exceptional, consistent service, Sandy has been selected for BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Stars for Law Firms in seven of the last eight years. In 2013, he was named a "Client Service All-Star MVP."
Prior to joining Ober|Kaler, Sandy served as an attorney for the Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, where he provided legal advice to the Health Care Financing Administration on fraud and abuse, reimbursement and other regulatory issues under the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Sandy had primary responsibility for developing policies and regulations to implement the Medicare and Medicaid Anti-Fraud and Abuse Amendments of 1977.
Sandy is a prominent member of numerous professional and civic associations. He serves on the board of directors of several Baltimore-area organizations, and served ten years on the Baltimore County Schools Board of Education. He is a former adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law, where he taught a seminar on fraud and abuse for more than ten years.
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Founding Fellow, 2005
- Board of Directors, 1986-1995
- President, 1993-1994
- Chair, Fraud and Abuse Program, 1992-2000
- Mentoring Program
- Public Interest Contributor
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Action for the Homeless
- Member, 1995-1998
- President, 1989-1992
- Baltimore County Board of Education
- Member, 1993-2003
- Baltimore Jewish Council
- Board of Directors
- Member, 1982-present
- President, 1992-1994
- Baltimore Reads
- Board of Directors, 2009-2014
- Center for Poverty Solutions
- Board of Directors, 1998-2000
- Homeless Persons Representation Project
- Board of Directors
- Chair of the 2012 and 2013 Annual Campaigns to End Homelessness
- The Jewish Federations of North America
- National Health and Long Term Care Work Group
- Co-Chair, 2012-2015
- Special appointment to the inquiry panel investigating the financial practices in the Baltimore City Public School System, 2004
- University of Maryland School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, 2005-2014
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers – Healthcare (Maryland) 2008-2014, and Healthcare: Regulatory & Litigation (Nationwide), 2011-2016
- Listed in Maryland Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2007-2016
- Listed in The Legal 500, 2012, 2014, 2015, "Leading Lawyer in Health Care," 2015
- Maryland Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Recipient, David J. Greenburg Award, American Health Lawyers Association, 2008
- Listed BTI Consulting Group’s Client Service All-Stars for Law Firms, 2008-2013, 2015
- Listed since 1991 in The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law Category (Woodward/White, Inc.)
- Selected by Nightingale's Healthcare News as one of the Outstanding Fraud & Compliance Lawyers for 2004 and for 2009
- Listed in Expert Guides to the Leading Lawyers – Best of the Best USA, Healthcare Category, 2007, 2011 and 2013-2014
- Leadership in Law Award, The Daily Record, 2005
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare
- Frequent writer and lecturer on various health care fraud and abuse issues
- Co-presenter, "Update on Fraud and Abuse Developments," Annual Health Law Forum, Tennessee Bar Association, 2016
- Co-presenter, "Criminal and Civil Liabilities for Overpayments," Healthcare Enforcement Compliance Institute, Health Care Compliance Association, 2016
- Presenter, "Trends in Current Health Care M&A Deals: An Update from the Field," Evolution of a Health Care Deal, Ober|Kaler and Bloomberg BNA, 2016